Rathlin House, c.1820

4 Green Street, Eastport, Maine.

Rathlin House is located directly next to TIMA’s GAR Hall / Royal Art Lodge Building. Little is known about the history of this two and a half story wood structure other than that it served as a private residence for nearly two centuries. Names of families living in the house included Cassidy in 1855 and Stetson in 1881. One of the last residents of the house was a descendant of a large number of Irish immigrants who came to live and work in this area in the mid-19th century from Rathlin Island off Ireland’s northern coast. Hence the house’s name, Rathlin House. The building was restored and the property was then donated to TIMA by John (1931-2015) and Alice Seelye in 2015. The building provides housing for artists in residence, TIMA interns and other guests of TIMA.

Comments are closed.