Below Is more information about an individual item within the TidesNet online collections. Click on the image to enlarge it. Use the “Go Back” button to return to the Folder page.
Carlos | Helena Simkhovitch
A bronze cast sculpture head titled “Carlos” by artist Helena Simkhovitch. The sculpture dates to the 1950s. The Tides Institute raised the necessary funds to secure the sculpture at auction in Illinois. It is part of a collection of eight works of sculpture by Simkhovitch in the collections of the Tides Institute. Simkhovitch was born in New York City in 1903, attended Bryn Mawr College and lived from 1925 to 1937 in Paris where she studied art and sculpture with Charles Despiau, Aristide Maillol and at the Academie Colarossi with Marcel Gimond. From 1940 on she lived and worked in New York City and Maine. Her works have been exhibited in Paris, the American Federation of Arts, Whitney Museum of American Art, the Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors, the Sculptors Guild, Newark Museum, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Maine and St. Stephen, New Brunswick. In 1955, the Museum of Modern Art organized a traveling exhibition devoted to modern portraits, in which Helena Simkhovitch was the only American. Her awards include the Palmes Academiques and Officer de l’Instruction Publique. Her roots in this region go back to her childhood when she would come to Perry with her parents and grandparents in the summer. Later, she and her husband summered at the Mansion House in Robbinston with her parents, Mary and Vladimir Simkhovitch, from New York City. From the 1960s onwards, she and her husband lived year round in Maine, first at the Mansion House, then in Machias. She died in 1993. Artist: Helena Simkhovitch (1903-1993) Medium: Bronze sculpture Carlos. Bronze sculpture of man's head. Helena Simkhovitch. Old Accession Number: 76