Below Is more information about an individual item within the TidesNet online collections. Click on the image to enlarge it. Use the “Go Back” button to return to the Folder page.
Ne-Mat-Ta-No Park Hotel and Park Map, North Lubec, Maine | 1897
A large original plan for the Ne-mat-ta-no hotel and resort development in North Lubec, Maine. that dates to June, 1897. The plan is the work of C.E.C. Beck, landscape engineer, of Boston, Massachusetts. The 500-acre facility was built by the North Lubec Improvement Company, a Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) company, organized in 1889 for developing a permanent New England Summer Encampment for the organization. North Lubec was chosen for the site. The map shows the Ne-mat-ta-no hotel that was built in 1890 along with the surrounding resort plan. The plan shows dozens of housing lots; streets with names of St. Croix, Kenduskeg, Cobscook, Ne-mat-ta-no, Macwahoc, Lamoine, and Mattawamkeag; tennis courts; a casino, camping ground; ice house; picnic grove; bowling alley and steamship and boat landing wharves. The hotel was a substantial four story wooden structure with a large covered porch that wrapped around all four sides of the hotel on the ground level. The hotel could accommodate 125 guests withe room rates of $2,00 to 2.50 a day or $9.00 to $12.00 a week. The hotel burned down ini 1921. The Tides Institute acquired this original map from a collector in Lubec, Maine along with an original brass stencil dating to the same time period with the Ne-mat-ta-no name. The institute also has historical photographs of the hotel as well as the steamship wharf. Photo caption: Original plan for Ne-mat-ta-no retort hotel development in North Lubec, Maine that dates to 1897. Classification: Maps Circa: 1897 Old Accession Number: 231 Description: Ne-Mat-Ta-No Hotel and Park Map, North Lubec, Maine, 1897.