Central Congregational Church - 22 Middle

Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church
Central Congregational Church with earlier steeple as appears on Map of Eastport, 1855.
Central Congregational Church with earlier steeple as appears on Map of Eastport, 1855.
Central Congregational Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia.
Central Congregational Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia.
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_105(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_105(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_24(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_24(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_103(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_103(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_89(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_89(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_22(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Interior, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_22(72).jpg
 Central Congregational Church, Exterior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_45(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, Exterior Detail, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Middle-22_Eastport_August2013_45(72).jpg
Central Congregational Church, 1894.
Central Congregational Church, 1894.
Built:1829
Address:
22 Middle Street
Eastport, Maine

National Register

Architects

Architectural Styles

  • Federal
SCA, p.24
CENTRAL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Built in 1829 by architect-builder Daniel Low, of Eastport, Central Congregational Churchis called "one of the finer provincial Federal style churches in the state. On a stone foundation, the wooden frame building is covered with clapboards. The front entrance has 3 doors, the center door being taller, each with arches and fan lights. Three 12-over- 12 windows, each above a door, punctuate the balcony floor. The square tower holds front and side clock faces, and above is the spire, which was added in 1831. After the 1869 Saxby Gale blew off that spire, a differently designed spire was restored. Only a few years ago this church has also survived being struck by lightning, but has been restored. A wrought iron weather vane crowns the spire. The interior is large, with an arched ceiling. The pews have been filled both for worship and for musical concerts. F AB, JCB

EWT, 2010
56) The Central Congregational Church (NR) Middle Street, Federal style. In January of 1818, a religious society was formed under the name of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"First Evangelical Congregational Church and Society of Eastport,\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" which chose Deacon Ezekiel Prince, Capt. Thomas Rogers, Nathan Bucknam, Benjamin B. Leavitt and Daniel Low as the building committee. Daniel Low, an architect and master builder, took charge and completed the church prior to its dedication February 18, 1829. Mr. Low\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s carpenters were said to have been mostly ship\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s carpenters. The original steeple was blown off during the Saxby Gale of 1869. In 1830, by an act of the State legislature, the society\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s name was shortened to the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Central Congregational Society of Eastport.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

From Kilby\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888):

CENTRAL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. In the winter of 1819, Rev. Mighill Blood, of Bucksport, employed by a Massachusetts missionary society, came through to Eastport, and on the 8th of February instituted a church consisting of five persons, Ezekiel Prince, Samuel Starboard, Samuel Whitcomb, Jane N. Weston, and Sarah S. Whitney. The first Congregational meeting-house was then in process of construction; and it was the expectation of the members of the newly formed church that it would be connected with the society, worshipping in the new meeting- house when completed. But, when the time came, the proprietors voted to send to Cambridge for a Unitarian minister; and the connection was not made. The church, however, kept together, worshipping generally with the Baptists, and, though the numbers were reduced by death and removal, others were added by letter; and in 1825 Rev. Wakefield Gale, a graduate of Andover Theological Semi- nary, who had been preaching for a few Sundays for the Baptists while they were without a minister, commenced regular services in the Old South School-house, and soon gathered a congregation exceeding the capacity of that building. On the 11th of January, 1828, the society was organized under the name of the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"First Evangelical Congregational Church and Society of Eastport.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" It was then decided to have a new house of worship; and Ezekiel Prince, Thomas Rogers, Nathan Bucknam, Benjamin B. Leavitt, and Daniel Low were chosen a building committee. The house, under the direction of Mr. Low as architect and builder, and dedicated Feb. 18, 1829, Mr. Gale preaching the sermon. This was the first church in town with a vestry under the same roof, and is the only one retaining the then prevalent style of interior finish. Its tall steeple was blown over in the great gale of 1869, and replaced by one of slightly different form. It has a clock paid for by the town. On account of the length of the name originally adopted, it was changed in 1830 by act of the State legislature to the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Central Congregational Society of Eastport.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The first deacons chosen were Ezekiel Prince and Libbeus Bailey. Deacon Prince may be said to have founded the church and society, and was Its faithful friend to the end of his long life. He died July 18, 1852, aged ninety-one years. His was a marked figure in our streets, the last of the old school, clad in long stockings and knee breeches. Deacon George A. Peabody is now in the fiftieth year of his service in that capacity. Not long since, the church received a bequest of $2,000 from the estate of Miss Sarah Leavitt, and earUer in its history the sum of $400 from Mrs. Margaret Dawson. Organization for 1888. Pastor, Rev. Ora A. Lewis. Deacon, George A. Peabody. Prudential committee, George A. Peabody, John A. Lowe, Herbert Kilby. Clerk and treasurer, George A. Peabody. Superintendent Sunday-school, George A. Peabody.

View full list of buildings