John Brewer House

John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
John Brewer House
Built:1828 - 1830
Robbinston, Maine

SCA, p. 21:
JQHN N.M. BREWER HOUSE (FOUR ELMS) "

Built between 1828 and 1830 for Captain John Nehemiah Marks Brewer, this residence has the distinction of being the only example of wooden frame amphiprostyle Greek Revival temple house "north of Bangor and east of the Penobscot River." A shipbuilder as well as a militia captain during the War of 1812, young Brewer had ships built both in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, and at his Robbinston shipyard. Earlier, he had captained some of General Brewers ships. After this owner died, the building was "Our School" for half a century, but new owners have restored the house, renaming it "4 Elms." Four Ionic columns support the front porch, above which is a triangular window. Facing the St. Croix River (ocean) are four bay windows. Each gable has two bays, connected by a main hallway. The roof is punctuated by two chimneys. Second-story windows are sixover-six, but the first floor French windows are 9-over-9 with shutters. Four Elms is now a bed and breakfast. F AB, JCB

View full list of buildings