Customs House & Post Office, Machias

1. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
1. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
2. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
2. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
3. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
3. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
4. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
4. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
5. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
5. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
6. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
6. Customs House & Post Office, Machias
Built:0
Machias, Maine

SCA, p.62:
POST OFFICE AND CUSTOM HOUSE

Machias had its first permanent federal post office and custom house built in 1871-1872. Prior to its construction, postmasters and customs collectors had to find their own offices. Congress authorized construction of the building in 1867, and Alfred B. Mullett, supervising architect of the Treasury Department, submitted the design. Charles G. Lynch of the Treasury Department was the master builder, and assisted by a local builder and architect, Horatio L. Hill. Construction began in July 1871, and effort was made to use as much local building material as possible in order to cut equipment costs. The foundation granite and bricks (except face brick) came from Marshfield. The building is of simple Italianate design with a distinctive keystone in each of the arched doorways and windows. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Machias Savings Bank is restoring this building as well as building the 1995- 1996 brick bank extension with clock. FAB, AFN, MSB

architectural sketch of the Machias Savings Banks clock tower on Main Street Bangor Daily News July 7, 1995, pg. A-5

View full list of buildings