Great Marsh Meeting House

1. Great Marsh Meeting House
1. Great Marsh Meeting House
2. Great Marsh Meeting House
2. Great Marsh Meeting House
Harrington, Maine

from http://www.mainelibraries.org/_documents/memo/2002/mar.htm:

The Harrington Library Association is purchasing the building next door to the Gallison Memorial Library. The building was built by the town of Harrington between 1860 and 1862 as the Great Marsh Meeting House using the local shipwrights as carpenters. The building was constructed as if it were to meet a heavy storm in the Atlantic. The Methodist Church was given permission to use the Meeting House one Sunday each month. In 1862 the Civil War was in full swing and for a reason unknown to this writer the building was turned over to the church in total ad the land o which it was located was sold to the Methodist Episcopal Church which is now known as the united Methodist Church. Three of the area towns were united, built a new centrally located church ad place the three town churches up for sale. The Harrington Library Association was able to raise a sufficient sum to purchase the building. The plan is now to raise enough funds to build a structure to span the forty feet between the two buildings and renovate the Meeting House to the requirements of a Library addition.

View full list of buildings