Samuel Campbell House (Second)

Samuel Campbell House
Samuel Campbell House
Samuel Campbell House
Samuel Campbell House
Built:1883
Address:
Route 1
Cherryfield, Maine

National Register

Historic District

Cherryfield Historic District

Architects

Architectural Styles

  • Queen Anne
SCA, p.92
COLONEL SAMUEL N. CAMPBELL HOUSE

Grandson of General Alexander Campbell, Colonel Samuel Campbell was another leading Cherryfield lumberrnill owner, who was also on the governor's Executive Council for two years; Architectlbuilder Charles A. Allen, of Cherryfield, constructed the colonel's Queen Anne style house in 1883. Three brick chimneys heated this 2-1/2 story wooden frame, clapboarded building, resting on a granite foundation. The south-facing facade begins with a covered porch, with pediment, leading to the double-door entrance. The six-paneled center bay window of the second-story stands alone, below the half-story single half-round window. Other first-and second-story windows are in pairs. The hipped roof is punctuated by several dormers, one with twin windows. A two-story ell is attached to the north (rear) side. A gable-roofed, two-story carriage house is west of this home, called by Frank Beard one of "the finest of its period in eastern Maine." The colonel's house sits on the hill north of Route One. FAB, JCB

From National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
Section number 7, Page 4, Inventory List:

2. (Second) Samuel N. Campbell House, 1883 - C Route 1

Charles A. Allen, Builder N .R. 2/4/82

This lavishly detailed and remarkably intact Queen Anne style house ranks among the finest of its type in eastern Maine. The asymmetrically massed two-and-a-half-story main block features a wrap-around porch with Eastlake ornamentation, bay windows articulated with brackets and sawn details, and a hip roof enlivened by pent gables, dormers, and chimney stacks. Its varied form is further enhanced by the use of weatherboards on the main wall surfaces and fish-scale shingles in the gables and above the windows. The original carriage house stands behind the dwelling. Its gableon-hip roof features an elaborate ventilator mounted on the ridge.

Like its neighbor (1) to the east, this house was built for a member of the prominent Campbell family. Colonel Samuel N. Campbell was the grandson of Alexander Campbell, and like' his grandfather was engaged in the lumber business. He too was politically active, serving on the Governor's Executive Council from 1880-82. The house was constructed by the Cherryfield builder Charles A. Allen from a design published in the August 1882 edition of Carpentry and Building (New York). The architect was T. F. Schneider of Washington, D. C.

View full list of buildings