Hillside Cemetery

Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia.
Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia.
Hillside Cemetery Tombs, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011005(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery Tombs, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011005(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#:  Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011014(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011014(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011021(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Cemetery_Eastport2011021(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-CemeteryEastport(July2013)027(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-CemeteryEastport(July2013)027(72).jpg
 Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_25(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_25(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_26(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_26(72).jpg
 Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_27(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_27(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_47(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_47(72).jpg
 Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_49(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_49(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_68(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_68(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_69(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_69(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_73(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_73(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#:Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_74(72).jpg
Hillside Cemetery, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#:Cemetery_Eastport_August2013_74(72).jpg
Eastport, Maine

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, August 4, 1880, p.2.c,4-5:
“They Rest in Peace.

In our recent notices of the industries of the town and people who are now active in its business pursuits we are reminded of many familiar faces seen upon the streets in years gone by, but now are no more. Their stores, offices, and places of business have new occupants. Most of the old citizens are gone. Where are they? we must visit the cemetery to read their names upon the monuments and head stones. It is the Sabbath day stillness while we tread lightly over the sacred grounds of the departed ones. Twenty years have passed away since we last visited the spot, and saw the sod turned back to cover all that remained on earth of one we loved. How fast time flies, and in its rapid flight our friends pass away. The old burial place is fast falling up. It is estimated that the population of silent inmates of the cemetery out number the inhabitants of the town. There is much of interest in the history of the cemetery of Eastport, in it could be written as old historians on other local matters have done before. The grounds of the cemetery are beautifully located. Nature seems to have especially designed them for a peaceful resting place for the dead. Added to her rich adornings the enterprising ladies of the town a few years ago, by fair and generous contributions raised $500 for fitting up and decorating the grounds, and from year to year since, large improvements have been made. While standing beside an old moss grown, slate stone slab, we read the name of “Walter St. John Esq., Lieut. 102d Reg.$ Died May 29, 1818. The town was then in possession of the Britash. Close beside his grave is Thomas Raymond’s Master in His Majesty’s Royal Navy, born at Aldoborough, Suffolk, England, died Sept. 27, 1817. The remains of, these two persons were removed from the old grave yard of 1820, a short time ago leaving only one grave, marked by a slate stone, erected by the Eastport Mechanics Association to the memory of Henry S. Pitman aged 27 years, who perished from exposure on the Island of Campobello, Jan. 4, 1818. We learned from the late Joseph Gunnison and John Hinkley, a short time previous to their demise, the name of the first person interred in the cemetery of to-day. He was the brother of t`e late Thomas Haycock, and died in the year 1820. Messrs. Gunnison and Hinkley were at the time of the reporter’s interview, probably the only persons living who were present at Mr. Haycock’s funeral. From the elevated grounds in the locality of the first graves a fine view of Head Harbor and the river looking towards Pembroke and Dennysville is given. The eastern portion of the ground is occupied by the Catholics, formerly it was their place of burial. Near it is a stone marking a soldier’s grave who died at Fort Sullivan in the year 1827. In a lot enclosed by a rustac fence appears the name of “Jackman” aged 97 years, died in 18<7. In the same lot is a beautiful red granite stone, with the name of Robert Kerr. The stone is highly polished and very attractive. The slab was obtained from Magaguadavic quarry.
There are a number of beautiful monuments, prominent among them is one erected by the citizens and comrads[?typo, “comrades”] of company K. to the memory of Capt. Thomas Roach and members of the 6th Maine Regiment who died in the service of our country. The honored fame of Captain Roach is still sacred among the surviving comrades. The G.A.R. post bear it upon their escutcheon. The name of a highly esteemed friend of school boy days, Geo. W. Sabine, Major of the First Maine Heavy Artillery, recalls incidents in the days of the rebellion which have been effaced from memory. In the death of Major Sabine, Eastport lost one of its best young men.(Major Sabine was a noble man, a brave soldier, and an exemplary christian. The inscription upon the stone, reads, “Wounded June 17, 1863, died May 28, 1864. A beautiful monument erected by thm young men of Eastport in memory of Theodore Lincoln Chadbourne son of the late I.R. Chadbourne, and grandson of Gen. Lincoln,(who was killed in one of the first battles at Mexico. There are a number of monuments erected to the memory of the first settlers of the town. Among them the family names of Paine, Noyes, Chapman, Hayden, Kilby, Monroe, Livermore, Andrews, Bradford, Coffin, Pike, Crosby, and scores of others meet the eye at every turn& The old tomb bearing the significant emblem of the square and compass marks the temporary resting place of departed brothers of the mystic tie. The other known as the “Shackford, Kilby and Hayden tomb.” While looking upon the old tombs and graves, the mind is carried back to days, gone by, and we seem to see the persons, whose names are before us cut in solid stone, standing erect by our side directing the work that has so successfully been done to make the grounds what they are, beautiful and attractive. When a favorable opportunity permits, we shall speak more fully(of this important locality.”

View full list of buildings