Dr. Micajah C. Hawkes House - 15 Shackford

Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
 Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, c. 1895.
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, c. 1895.
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, 1895. From Eastport Sentinel.
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, 1895. From Eastport Sentinel.
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_94(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_94(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_96(72).jpg-15_Eastport_August2013_94(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_96(72).jpg-15_Eastport_August2013_94(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_102(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport_August2013_102(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport(July2013)019(72).jpg
Dr. Micajah Hawkes House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO #: Shackford-15_Eastport(July2013)019(72).jpg
Built:1816-1818
Address:
15 Shackford Street
Eastport, Maine

Architectural Styles

  • Federal
EWT, 2010
Dr. Micajah C. Hawkes House 15 Shackford Street.
Federal design. Bordering the front door are colorful lead glass panes, some cut with graceful designs. This house was built between 1816-18 by one of Eastports long-time leading physicians. Dr. Hawkes with his family arrived in Eastport in 1817 from Boston. He was a veteran of the War of 1812 and served on the U.S.S. Hornet as the assistant surgeon. As a result of his service, Hawkes received a leg wound from the battle with the H.M.S. Peacock, which caused him to walk with a slight limp the rest of his life.

• From Eastport Sentinel, April 12, 1882, p.2, c.3-5:
“Some old Eastport Houses.

AND THEIR OCCUPANTS.—A FAMILIAR RETROSPECT.

PART 3.
....

THE SHACKFORD STREET HOUSE.
The only hipped roof house on Shackford street still retains its identity. It was built in 1824 by Dr. Micajah Hawks, and has never passed out gf his family. In the last war with Great Britain he served as assistant surgeon in the United States navy and was on board the @ornet in her engagement with the Peacock. One of his medical students whom I remember was Dr. Crow. Dr. Hawks was at one time surveyor of the port, and two other physicians, Dr. Ayer and Dr. Whipple, have also been surveyors. In the latter days he was affdicted with lameness, and his slow moving horse and chaise were amportant local institutions, and when after long serveice old Radgeway died it left a vacancy on Water street, nearly as great as if one of the stores had disappeared.”

View full list of buildings