Isaac Hobbs House - 11 Shackford

Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House
Isaac Hobbs House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport 2013027(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport 2013027(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport Maine031(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport Maine031(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia, PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport2011013(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia, PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport2011013(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport2011018(72).jpg
Isaac Hobbs House, 2011. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Shackford-11_Eastport2011018(72).jpg
Built:1816, 1823
Address:
11 Shackford Street
Eastport, Maine

Architectural Styles

  • Federal
SCA, p.28:
HOBBS HOUSE

Isaac Hobbs, a carpenter by trade, built this residence at 11 Shackford Street. He built the first story of the west wing in 1816, and added the main Federal period house in 1823. Samuel Witherell bought the house in 1846, and added the east wing and second story to the west wing in 1849. The house has a beautiful fanlight, side lights and interior circular stairway. Local legend has it that a secret room built into the foundation on the Middle Street side, was used for the Underground Railway. AFN, JP

EWT, 2010:
39) The Hobbs House 11 Shackford Street. Federal, 1823.

The west wing was built by Isaac Hobbs in 1816, prior to the main house. He was junior partner with his older brother George in the mercantile business of George and Isaac Hobbs. George and Isaac were responsible for Robert Huston building the schooner Champion in 1823, starting Eastport\\\\\\\'s shipbuilding era.

View full list of buildings