Nathan Higgins House - 14 Key

Nathan Higgins House
Nathan Higgins House
Nathan Higgins House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Key-14_Eastport Maine034(72).jpg
Nathan Higgins House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Key-14_Eastport Maine034(72).jpg
Address:
14 Key Street
Eastport, Maine

• From Eastport Sentinel, September 8, 1880, p.3,c.: “The close observer, as he walks about town, notices many changes and improvements within the past year. Mr. R.M. Tuttle, Capt. A. Michener, Mr. Henry Greenlaw and Mr. H.F. Blanchard have erected new dwelling houses. Special notice of each has been given while in process of building. It is of the fixing up that we s`all speak particularly. The John Shackford house on Water street has been repaired and remodeled by Mr. Warren Brown so that it bears little resemblance to its former self. The Nathan Higgins house, under Mr. Fred. Paines ownership has taken on a mansard roof and other modern fashions. The Jonathan Buck house has been repaired and built upon by the absent ones to whom it belongs until it makes a most comely home for Mr. Geo. H. Hayes, the young cashier of the Frontier National Bank. The old Kilby house,(retaining its original form, the pattern of the genteel residences of sixty years ago, put in thorough repair by its present owner, Mrs. Ann Mabee, stands white and square beneath the shadow of its high oer-arching elms. The Starbird house on Washington street, purchased by Dr. W.H. Sibley, has been remodeled and converted into a comely residence. The doctor commenced to tear away and lay the foundation for substantial work last April and has been steadily engaged up to the present time with a number of mechanics in perfecting his purposes to change the old dilapidated building into a comfortable dwelling house. This he has accomplished, and last Saturday the Doctor and his wife enjoyed their first meal at home. The house, with its tidy surroundings adds largely to the appearance of our principal street. The carpenter work was under the direction of Mr. Daniel Goulding of Perry; the plastering and masonry, by Mr. G.F. Sibley of Robbinston; the plumbing and piping by Spates Bros., and the painting by Harrington Bros. and Mr. Sears.

• From Eastport Sentinel, August 13, 1890, p.3,c.3: “Mr. Fredk[?] Paines neat little French roofed house on Key St., has recently been greatly improved in appearance by a new coat of paint in the fashionable colors.”

View full list of buildings