Joseph Gunnison House - 11 Boynton

Joseph Gunnison House.
Joseph Gunnison House.
Joseph Gunnison House.
Joseph Gunnison House.
Joseph Gunnison House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia.  PHOTO#: Boynton-11_Eastport Maine038 (72)
Joseph Gunnison House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Boynton-11_Eastport Maine038 (72)
Built:1849
Address:
11 Boynton Street
Eastport, Maine

From Kilby's Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888):

At the election in 1853, Joseph Gunnison, Esq., Whig, was
chosen the twenty-fourth representative of the town. He
was son of Elisha and Betsey (Rounds) Gunnison, born at
Buxton, May 10, 1799. He first came to Eastport in 1815,
and was employed as clerk in a store. Afterward, as partner
in the firm of Bucknam & Gunnison, he was extensively en-
gaged in trade, and later carried on business at St. John,
N.B., and at Magaguadavic. Returning here, he established
in 1842 the first express runnhig between Boston and this
section, and continued in that business through many years.
In 1849, he was appointed surveyor of the port of Eastport
by President Taylor, and continued a full term. After the
election of President Lincoln, he was appointed an inspector
of the customs at Eastport, and died while holding that office,
June 2, 1874. He served a second term in the legislature.

View full list of buildings