Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church - 74 High

Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church
Methodist Church. View showing in distance (yellow circle) earlyl church steeple, c. 1870
Methodist Church. View showing in distance (yellow circle) earlyl church steeple, c. 1870
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church. Sketch from Kilby's Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888)
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church. Sketch from Kilby's Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888)
Earlier Methodist Church (within yellow circle) as appears in 1879 Birds Eye View Map of Eastport.
Earlier Methodist Church (within yellow circle) as appears in 1879 Birds Eye View Map of Eastport.
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: High-74_Eastport(August)034 copy(72).jpg
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: High-74_Eastport(August)034 copy(72).jpg
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: High-74_Eastport(August)035 copy(72).jpg
Blakey Memorial United Methodist Church, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: High-74_Eastport(August)035 copy(72).jpg
Built:1884
Address:
74 High Street
Eastport, Maine

EWT, 2010:

9) The Methodist Church High Street. This church was built in 1820 by the Baptists who later moved to Washington Street. New to Eastport, the Methodists first rented the church on High Street and later purchased it.

From Kilby\\\'s Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888):

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. The first regular class of the Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in Eastport in November, 1838, by Rev. William Brown, who was stationed at Robbinston; and the first quarterly meeting was held by Presiding Elder Rev. D. Copeland the same year. In 1839, Eastport was made a missionary station, under charge of Rev. Isaiah McMahon, Isaac Bridges, leader, Joseph Bridges, James Luckley, and John Loveley, stewards. The Baptist society having built a new house of worship on Washington Street, their meeting-house on High Street was first hired by the Methodists, and purchased by them in 1842. While in their possession, the building was greatly improved by the addition of a tower, and in other ways. Across the street stood the gun-house of the Eastport Washington Artillery, the lower story occupied by their brass cannon and other equipments, with drill hall above. This building the Methodists converted to peaceful uses, moving it across alongside of the church, and adapting it to vestry and parsonage purposes. By the generosity of Mr. L. C. Blakey, a former member of the parish, who left a bequest larger than has ever been received by any other religious society in town, it was enabled to undertake the building of a new church edifice, which was completed in 1884, and bears the name of the Blakey Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. The society also owns a parsonage. Organization for 1888. Pastor, Rev. M. G. Prescott. Stewards, A. Flagg, E. J. Farris, G. F. Raye, S. O. Bridges, Joseph Farris, G. Stevenson, Robert Spear, A. K. McLeod, George Farris. Trustees, M. Thompson, R. Flagg, J. Farris, G. F. Raye, R. Spear, Henry Farris, William Irving, Amos Boyd, A. K. McLeod. Recording steward, R. Flagg. District steward, A. K. McLeod. Superintendent Sunday-school, R. Flagg.

View full list of buildings