Charles Newton House

Charles Newton House
Charles Newton House
Charles Newton House
Charles Newton House
Charles Newton House
Charles Newton House
Built:1873
Address:
309 Main Street
Calais, Maine

National Register

Architects

Architectural Styles

  • Italianate
SCA, p.8:

CHARLES NEWTON HOUSE Charles H. Newton, owner of the plaster factory in Red Beach, had his home built in the early 1870s. This three story Italianate period house has a rounded projection in front, flat roof with paired brackets and dentil ornamentation of the cornice. The front entrance has a double door and portice with dentils and paired brackets. In the 1920s· an ell was added and the dining room extended. The Charles Newton House stands at 309 Main Street. AFN

From National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
HINCKLEY HILL HISTORIC DISTRICT, WASHINGTON, MAINE Section number 7 Page 4:

3. Charles H. Newton House, 1873 - C 309 Main street

Joseph C. Rockwood, Architect/Builder One of the most architecturally distinguished Italianate houses in Calais, the Newton house is a two-story shallow hipped roofed dwelling that has a two-story bow window on its facade. It is covered entirely in flush board sheathing and rests on a granite block foundation. The front elevation has a side entrance porch whose flat roofed porch is supported by thin fluted columns (probably replacement of chamfered posts). There are two six-oversix hooded windows in each story of the bay, the center of which is articulated by a pilaster. A wide denticulated overhanging cornice is supported by paired brackets. At the corners of the main block this cornice is met by pronounced wooden quoins. A narrow one-story addition is located on a portion of the north endwall, the balance of which has three irregularly placed windows. There is a second bow window on the south side as well as an exterior river stone chimney probably added in the early twentieth century. A large two-story ell extends to the rear.

Local tradition maintains that this house was erected for Charles H.
Newton, treasurer and general manager of the Red Beach Plaster Company and the Maine Red Granite Company. The March 13, 1873, edition of the st. Croix Courier (st. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada) carried a reference to the pending construction of Newton's house by the Calais architect/builder J. C. Rockwood. Later, it was owned by Louis Eaton, who lived there for many years, as did his widow, Rose Eaton. It was then sold to Shirley Campbell sometime in the late 1960s. After this it was sold to Peter Pierce, and is presently owned by Roberta Wachter. .

View full list of buildings