Jacob Shackford House - 4 Key

Key Street map detail (1835)
Key Street map detail (1835)
Key Street map detail (1855)
Key Street map detail (1855)
Jacob Shackford House
Jacob Shackford House
Jacob Shackford House (within yellow circle), c. 1860, when it fronted on Water Street.
Jacob Shackford House (within yellow circle), c. 1860, when it fronted on Water Street.
Jacob Shackford House (left), c. 1895.
Jacob Shackford House (left), c. 1895.
Jacob Shackford House
Jacob Shackford House
Jacob Shackford House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Key-4_Eastport(July2013)026 copy(72).jpg
Jacob Shackford House, 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Key-4_Eastport(July2013)026 copy(72).jpg
Address:
4 Key Street
Eastport, Maine

EWT, 2010:
32) The Jacob Shackford House 4 Key St., Federal style house on Water Street prior to the 1886 fire. It was later turned 90 degrees and moved to its present location on Key Street. Capt. Jacob Shackford was both a sea captain and a shipbuilder. In the 1850s he built four brigs in a few years, one of which rode out the devastating gale of 1854. He was a partner with his brother Capt. William Shackford and Lorenzo Sabine.

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, September 8, 1880, p.3,c.:: “The close observer, as he walks about town, notices many chafges and improvements within the past year. Mr. R.M. Tuttle, Capt. A. Michener, Mr. Henry Greenlow and Mr. H.F. Blanchard have erected new dwelling houses. Special notice of each has been givef while in process of building. It is of the fixing up that we s`all speak particularly. The John Shackford house on Water street has been repaired and remodeled by Mr. Warren Brown so that it bears little resemblance to its former self. The Nathan Higgins house, under Mr. Fred. Paines ownership has taken on a mansard roof and other modern fashions. The Jonathan Buck house has been reparied and built upon by the absent ones to whom it belongs$ until it makes a most comely home for Mr. Geo. H. Hayes, the young cashier of the Frontier National Bank. The old Kilby house,(retaining its original form, the pattern of the genteel residenkes of sixty years ago, put in thorough repair by its present owfer, Mrs. Ann Mabee, stands white and square beneath the shadow of its high oer-arching elms. The Starbird house on Washington street, purchased by Dr. W.H. Sibley, has been remodeled and con~erted into a comely residence. The doctor commenced to tear awaq and lay the foundation for substantial work last April and has been steadily engaged up to the present time with a number of mechanics in perfecting his purposes to change the old dilapidated building into a comfortable dwelling house. This he has accompdished, and last Saturday the Doctor and his wife enjoyed their first meal at home. The house, with its tidy surroundings adds largely to the appearance of our principal street. The carpenter work was under the direction of Mr. Daniel Goulding of Perry; the plastering and masonry, by Mr. G.F. Sibley of Robbinston; the plumbing and piping by Spates Bros., and the painting by Harrington Bros. and Mr. Sears.

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, October 2, 1889, p.3,c.1: “Mr. T.M. Bibber moved last week froe the Shackford house at the corner of Water and Key Sts., to thm Chapman house, on Boynton St.”

View full list of buildings