Christ Episcopal Church - 21 Key

Christ Episcopal Church, c.1905
Christ Episcopal Church, c.1905
Christ Episcopal Church, c. 1905
Christ Episcopal Church, c. 1905
Christ Episcopal Church, c.1885
Christ Episcopal Church, c.1885
Christ Episcopal Church, 2012
Christ Episcopal Church, 2012
Christ Episcopal Church interior, 2002.
Christ Episcopal Church interior, 2002.
Built:1858
Address:
21 Key Street
Eastport, Maine

EWT, 2010:
44) Christ Episcopal Church Key Street. The first rector was Rev. William Stone Chadwell. The building was started in 1857 and completed the following year. Bishop Burgess consecrated it on November 10, 1858. The Institute next to the church was built in 1901.

From Kilby's Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888):

PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH. During the British occupation, regular services were conducted by the chaplain of the post according to the forms of the Church of England; and, in later years, visiting clergy- men of the American Episcopal Church occasionally held services in the houses of worship of some of the other societies in town. However, no attempt was made to organize an Episcopal church here until 1857, when Rev. William Stone Chadwell began to hold services in the Baptist vestry on Green Street; and on the 4th of November of that year Christ Church was established, with Mr. Chadwell for its first rector, Robert Ker and Gideon W. Stickney, wardens, and Winslow Bates, D. N. Clark, and Theodore Cary, vestrymen. Steps were immediately taken toward building a church on Key Street, which was completed the following year, and consecrated by Bishop Burgess on the loth of November, 1858. Recently there has been added to the parish equipment a convenient and fine-looking rectory, which stands on the lot adjoining the church. Organization for 1888. Rector, Rev. Joseph Dinzey. Wardens, W. S. Mildon, A. W. Clark. Vestrymen, S. D. Leavitt, Winslow Bates, J. M. Swett, E. M. Small, M.D., Ezra Rumery, A. W. Woodman, E. W. Bogret. Clerk, J. M. Swett. Treasurer, W. S. Mildon. Sunday-school superintendent, Rev. J. Dinzey.

Web links


View full list of buildings