Theodore Jellison House

Built:1825
Address:
River Road, U.S. Route 1
Calais, Maine

SCA, p.11:
THEODORE JELLISON HOUSE (THE STONE HOUSE) RIVER ROAD

Theodore Jellison, who, in 1825, built this rare and large stone house on the bank ofthe St. Croix River, owned granite quarries in Calais so he demonstrated that a granite building could be built. Ships could be loaded with granite at his nearby . stone wharf. The one-and-one half story south side has three bays. The gable has an entrance with Greek Revival six-oversix double sash windows and Gornices. In 1925 two dormers penetrated the roof and a veranda on the east side was added. A one story wooden frame shingled ell is on the west side. A granite fireplace is in the basement. A Dutch oven on the first floor, heats the house. A reproduction of the original 1862 wall paper covers the main hall interior. F AB, JCB


View full list of buildings