Calais Temperance House

Calais Temperance Building
Calais Temperance Building
Calais Temperance Building (side)
Calais Temperance Building (side)
Calais Temperance Buildng (rear)
Calais Temperance Buildng (rear)
Calais Temperance House
Calais Temperance House
Calais Temperance House
Calais Temperance House
Calais Temperance House
Calais Temperance House
Looking down Calais Avenue with Temperance House on right
Looking down Calais Avenue with Temperance House on right
Looking up Calais Aenue with Temperance House on left
Looking up Calais Aenue with Temperance House on left
Looking up Calais Aenue with Temperance House on left
Looking up Calais Aenue with Temperance House on left
Built:1835
Address:
6 Calais Avenue
Calais, Maine

National Register

Historic District



SCA, p.7
CALAIS TEMPERANCE HOUSE

The Temperance House stands at the comer of Calais Avenue and Temperance Street, and it was built in 1835 for John and Isaac Pool. At that time it was the only brick hotel east of Bangor, and its simple Greek Revival construction is a tribute to the Temperance period of clean living and no drinking. The hotel had many different owners, and under the ownership of James Shepard Pike from 1846 to 1852 the name was changed to the American House. In 1888, the proprietor J.G. Hamilton put on an addition, and in the early 1900s the front veranda was removed and replaced with a Greek Revival portico over the entrance. The hotel was closed in 1910-1911, and remained vacant until the St. Croix Masonic Association purchased the building in 1918. It is still used for Masonic purposes and known as the Masonic Hall. A one and a half story brick buildling with nine bays, the center door front entrance is sheltered by a pedimented porch, supported by 4 columns, with the Masonic emblem. 1bree dormers punctuate the gable roof. In 1888 the two northern bays, and bay windows, probably were added to the original structure. A ballroom graced the basement while it was called the American House. AFN, KFM, JCB

From National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
CALAIS RESIDENTIAL HISTORIC DISTRICT'
Section number 7, Page 6

6. Calais Temperance House, 1835, 1888 - C 6 Calais Avenue

One of only two brick buildings in the district, the Calais Temperance House is a three-and-a-half-story, nine-bay building that is covered by a gable roof. Its front (east) elevation features a central entry behind a pedimented porch, a trio of small dormers, a full height, three-sided bay window at the northeast corner, and one-aver-one windows. Its three-bay able ends are punctuated by symmetrically placed one-over-one and six-over-six windows. Tradition holds that an addition was made to the original block in 1888, probably the northern two bays including the bay window. The present entrance is one of two adjoining entries shown in historic photographs, both of which were sheltered by a narrow second story balcony. Alteration of these features is believed to have taken place in the early 1900s.

When built in 1835 it was the only brick hotel east of Bangor. The
hotel had many different owners, and under the ownership of James Shepard Pike, from 1845 to 1852 the name was changed to the Calais House. In 1876, under the management of Dan Gardener, the name was changed to the American House. The hotel was closed in 1910-1911, and remained vacant until the st. Croix Masonic Association purchased the building in 1918. It is currently known as Masonic Hall. When it was the American House there was a ballroom in the basement.

View full list of buildings