Gates House

Looking from shore at rear side of Gates House (center building)
Looking from shore at rear side of Gates House (center building)
Machiasport, Maine

SCA, p.51:
GATES HOUSE

Zebadee Mayhew came to Machias in 1803 and bought the property on which the Gates House sits. He probably built the house soon after this purchase, and in 1813 the house, barn, store and wharves were sold at Public Auction to Nathan Gates. Mr. Gates was a trader, and from the mid to late nineteenth century the wharves were the final stop on the Machiasport-Whitneyville Railroad. The basement facing the river was always used as a store or trading post. The house remained in the Gates family until 1929.

Built on the slope of a hill on the edge of the Machias River, the Gates House has two main facades of differing heights. From the road it appears to be of two stories with a projecting wing on the west side. From the river it has three stories. The building shows Federal period influence in its low pitched hip roof, fanlight over the doorway, and tall, narrow proportions. The windows have twelve over twelve lights and the cornice has a very simple decorative molding.

The Gates House is the home of the Machiasport Historical Society and is open to the public. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. AFN

View full list of buildings