McCurdy Smokehouse

McCurdy Herring Smokehouse.
McCurdy Herring Smokehouse.
McCurdy Herring Smokehouse.
McCurdy Herring Smokehouse.
Built:c. 1907
Lubec, Maine

SCA, p.49:
McCURDY SMOKEHOUSE

Begun about 1907, but added to several times until 1940, the McCurdy Smokehouse, on the Lubec waterfront, includes nine buildings: (1) the original smokehouse, (2) a second smokehouse built between 1921 and 1933, (3) an 1860 warehouse-store, (4) another 1898 warehouse-blacksmith shop, (5) an 1898 fish-boning and processing building, (7) the 1907 pickling shed-pumphouse, (8) a 1921-1933 fish storage-sawdust building, and (9) another 1933-1940 storage building. This may be the only intact smokehouse complex left in Maine. When it closed in 1991, (the last of 13 herring smokehouses in Lubec), no other commercial smokehouse existed in the U.S. Originally it was called "Robert McBride Smoked Fish" after the 1907 owner. The next owners were Cadwallader Kelley and Dorothy C. Kelley until 1959, when Arthur P. McCurdy bought it. Arthurs son, John P. McCurdy, Jr., now owns the smokehouse. The 1995 John McCurdy Smokehouse Museum Committee is seeking $400,000 federal-state grant in 1996 to restore and maintain this historic complex. KFM,JCB

Web links


View full list of buildings