Jeremiah Fowler House

Lubec, Maine

SCA, p.48:
JEREMIAH FOWLER HOUSE

Probably in 1840 or 1841, the Fowler House was built, the first owner being Jeremiah Fowler; a Lubec merchant. Simeon Ryerson, a shipbuilder, a general store owner and smoked herring industrialist, bought the Fowler House in the 1850s. His son-in-law, Colonel A. Baker Sumner, of the 6th Maine Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, who became a partner both in the general store as well as in the A.B. Sumner and Company shipbuilding industry (which owned six vessels), inherited the Fowler House, which stayed in the family until 1995. A two-and-a-half story Greek Revival style residence, the Fowler House has clapboards and a gable roof. A three-bay facade, facing south, has a gable end (with pediment), supported by Doric pilasters. Windows on both floor, which are six-over-one double sash, may have been added about 1900 when the Colonial Revival veranda appeared. The building is crowned with a tympanum with a triangular window and panel lights. Much woodwork in the interior is original, including Greek revival cornice moldings, but the staircase is 1900 style, while the over-head flush toilet in the bathroom is not of 1840 vintage. The Jeremiah Fowler House is on the National Register of Historic Places. It stands at 35 School Street. FAB, JCB

View full list of buildings