Barracks Museum - 74 Washington

Barracks Museum
Barracks Museum
Fort Sullivan Officers' Quarters, c. 1860 on Fort Hill. Barracks Museum represents northern (right) third of the Officers' Quarters. Quarters were divided into thirds and moved off Fort Hill to its present site on Washington Street in 1877.
Fort Sullivan Officers' Quarters, c. 1860 on Fort Hill. Barracks Museum represents northern (right) third of the Officers' Quarters. Quarters were divided into thirds and moved off Fort Hill to its present site on Washington Street in 1877.
Barracks Museum, 1022. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Washington-74_Eastport2012(winter)34(ED)(72).jpg
Barracks Museum, 1022. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Washington-74_Eastport2012(winter)34(ED)(72).jpg
Built:1809
Address:
74 Washington Street
Eastport, Maine

SCA, p.29:
BARRACKS

The Barracks was once part of the Officers quarters at Fort Sullivan, and stood on Fort Hill overlooking the city. It was built in 1809, and was originally joined with two other buildings. The quarters were removed in three sections about 1870, and this section was placed on Washington Street. Another section of the building stands on Orange Street. This two and one-half story wooden clapboarded structure has a five bayed front with twelve over eight light windows, and a transom light over the door. The building is the headquarters for the Border Historical Society and is open to the public as a museum. AFN, JCB, JP

EWT, 2010:
61) Barracks Museum (NR), Route 190, Washington Street.

A two-and-one-half-story wooden clapboard structure, this building is the only part of the Officers Quarters still in existence from Fort Sullivan. This northern section was a part of one building that was cut into three pieces. It was sold on Feb. 1, 1877, for $110.00, and moved to its present location on Washington Street. In 1822, John Kelly, the fort's sutler, was allowed to construct a house next to the post's hospital. A sutler was a person who sold provisions to the troops. The sutler's house was a two-story building that contained four rooms and measured 44 feet long x 21 feet wide. Sometime in 1827 the Army purchased the Kelly house for an addition to the officers' quarters.

Web links


View full list of buildings