Calais Free Library

Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Calais Free Library
Built:1892
Address:
9 Union Street
Calais, Maine

National Register

Architects

Architectural Styles

  • Richardsonian Romanesque
SR, p.4:
CALAIS FREE LIBRARY

Built of brick in the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture, the Calais Library was completed in 1892. It stands on Union Street, which was once Main Street, and occupies the Pike homestead lot. James Shepard Pike, Frederic Augustus Pike and Freeman Hale Todd were the founders of the library. The Pike House was moved to Calais Avenue after James Shepard Pikes death in 1882 and construction of the new building began. A.H. Vinal of Boston was both the architect and master builder of the building. Stonework is repeatedly used to emphasize the arched entrance and rounded windows. The library has a gable roof with cross gable wing and rounded projecting tower. Recently the people of the City of Calais raised $750,000 in freewill gifts, to match a grant of $750,00, to double the size and floor space of this public library with the Frank Fenderson Wing. Public meetings are held in both childrens and adults wings, by the St. Croix Historical Society, Washington County Genealogical Society and other groups. AFN, JCB

Web links


View full list of buildings