Calais Fire House

1. Calais Fire House
1. Calais Fire House
2. Calais Fire House
2. Calais Fire House
3. Calais Fire House
3. Calais Fire House
4. Calais Fire House (right) and Calais City Hall (left)
4. Calais Fire House (right) and Calais City Hall (left)
Built:1874
Address:
13 Church Street
Calais, Maine

National Register

Historic District



Architectural Styles

  • Italianate
SCA, p. 16:

FIREHOUSE In 1874 the acquisition of new firefighting equipment by the Calais Fire Department following the fire in 1870, demanded the construction of a new Engine House, completed in 1874. It is built of brick in the Italianate style, with heavy quoins, denticulation of the gable, broad arched doorways and heavy decorative arches over the windows. The hose tower and bell were added in 1895-1896, and the bell was removed about 1950. The fire department moved out in 1970, at which time the doorways were boarded up. The building is used as a Senior Citizens Center and Community Planning Center. The Happy Gang,which has been meeting here for the past twenty years, is negotiating to buy the firehouse from the city for $1.00. Building deterioration caused the city to close the building last year. Repair estimates have ranged widely, but this Senior Citizens group feels they will be able to raise the money, and will solicit both locally and from outside Washington County. The city will have the right to recover the building after 10 years if it has not been properly cared for. The city will also retain ownership of the land, and continue to provide sewer and water service free of charge. AFN, JCB (Maine Preservation News, Vol. XX, No.2, 1995, page 8)

National Register of Historic Places, Calais Historic District Nomination Form, p. 2:

2. 13 Church Street. Old Fire House, Ita1ianate, 1874. Two stories with tower, brick construction with granite trim. Hose tower and bell added 1895-6.

View full list of buildings