Frank W. Patten Store

Frank Pattern Store
Frank Pattern Store
Built:1865
Address:
Main Street
Cherryfield, Maine

Architectural Styles

  • Italianate
SCA, p.88:

FRANCIS PATTEN BUILDING. This two and one-half story building on Main Street was built in 1865 for Mr. Francis Patten as a boot and shoe store and manufactory. It is built in the Italianate style with heavy framing, decorative lintels, pilasters and bracket cornice. There is a gabled roof, and one chimney. On one side ofthe doorway is a large four-pane shop window, but on the opposite side is a single, fourpanel wooden door with a flush panel light transom. Above all of the windows on this first story are decorative wooden panels. The windows on the north side were added to accommodate an artists studio. Above the first story is a denticulated cornice, as well as a frieze of decorative-wooden panels. Windows on the second floor are two two-over-two with decorative lintels. A similar window is on the north side of the half story. The building has housed a variety of businesses, among them a meat market, telegraph office, barber shop, cobblers shop, photographers studio, artists studio, law offices, pool room, jewelers shop, dry goods store, and restaurant. More than twenty years ago the Patten Building was given to the Cherryfield-Narraguagus Historical Society, and it continues to be the societys headquarters in 1995. Frank Beard finds it "remarkable to find such a sophisticated piece of commercial architecture" here. F AB, AFN, JCB
rnNational Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
Section number 7, Page 16:

38. Frank W. Patten store, 1865 - C Main street

N. R. 12/22/78

The most c elaborately detailed of Cherryfield I s surviving commercial buildings, the Patten store is a handsome Italianate style structure which is completely intact,. Its two-and-a-half-story gabled facade is composed of a three-part storefront, two windows with heavily molded bracketed'hoods on the second story and a similar window in the gable peak. The storefront has a recessed double doorway flanked by a large four-pane display window and a door leading to the interior stairs. Chamfered pilasters framing the openings rise to a paneled and bracketed cornice that further articUlates this first story. A cornice with paired brackets and dentils carries around three sides of the building, which is sheathed in weatherboards.

In its November 23, 1865, edition the Machias Republican contained an article about Cherryfield in which it mentioned that "A large store has been erected on the principal street, which is to be finished in good style, and occupied by Mr. Frank Patten as a boot and shoe store and manufactory." Unfortunately, it made no mention of the architect or builder involved. By 1881 Patten was using this building asa meat market and general store, and it continued to house a variety of commercial enterprises well into the twentieth century. During the late 1970s it was given to the Cherryfield Narraguagus Historical society which uses it as a museum.

View full list of buildings