A. Campbell and Company Store

A. Campbell and Company Store (right)
A. Campbell and Company Store (right)
Built:1865
Address:
Main Street
Cherryfield, Maine

National Register

Historic District

Cherryfield Historic District

National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
Section number 7, Page 19:

47. A. Campbell and Company store, 1865 - C Main Street

Erected in 1865, this intact two-and-a-half-story commercial building has a three-bay main block and a recessed shed addition on its north side. The first story features three large symmetrically arranged display windows which are separated by chamfered pilasters and narrow panels and surmounted by a bracketed cornice. The upper levels have six-over-six windows. A twoleaf entrance is located on the pedimented she4 addition. The building's facade is sheathed in weatherboards ~hereas the sides and rear are shingled.

Construction of this store is documented in the November 23, 1865, edition of the Machias Republican where it was noted that "A. Campbell and Co., are finishing up a storehouse near their store." The earlier building referenced is believed to have stood to the north of this one. The general mercantile firm was later continued under the name G. R. Campbell and Company. At present, the building houses a fraternal organization.

View full list of buildings