Nash-Wakefield House

Nash-Wakefield House
Nash-Wakefield House
Built:1820
Address:
Route 1
Cherryfield, Maine

National Register

Historic District

Cherryfield Historic District

National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
Section number 7, Page 6:

6. Nash-Wakefield House, c. 1820 - C Route 1

This two-story dwelling, which is sheathed in weatherboards, has a distinct Federal style appearance which is altered by the replacement Greek Revival style doorway. Its symmetrically composed five-bay facade features a central entrance with a broad entablature and paneled pilasters and a narrow cornice typical of the Federal period. A bay window was added in the nineteenth century to the east gable end. Two interior chimneys rise through the roof ridge. A modern gambrel roofed shed stands behind the house.

Although the original owner of this house has not yet been identified, in 1861 it was occupied by Mrs. L. Nash. In 1881 G. W. Wakefield was residing here. Wakefield was a manufacturer of castings and machinery. His foundry was located on the east side of the Forest Mill Dam.

View full list of buildings