Aaron Hayden House - 17 Boynton

Aaron Hayden House
Aaron Hayden House
Aaron Hayden House
Aaron Hayden House
Boynton Street houses with Aaron Hayden House at left in background.
Boynton Street houses with Aaron Hayden House at left in background.
Original Aaron Hayden House. Drawing reproduced in Kilbly's History of Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888).
Original Aaron Hayden House. Drawing reproduced in Kilbly's History of Eastport and Passamaquoddy (1888).
Aaron Hayden House as appears in 1879 Bird's Eye View Map of Eastport. Three years later, in 1882, the house would be extensively remodelled with a thrid story mansard roof, front bay windows and front porch added to the original structure.
Aaron Hayden House as appears in 1879 Bird's Eye View Map of Eastport. Three years later, in 1882, the house would be extensively remodelled with a thrid story mansard roof, front bay windows and front porch added to the original structure.
Aaron Hayden House, c.1895. From book (1895).
Aaron Hayden House, c.1895. From book (1895).
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Towering copper beech tree stands in front of the house. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Trees_Boynton_17_ThaddeusHayden.jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Towering copper beech tree stands in front of the house. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Misc-Trees_Boynton_17_ThaddeusHayden.jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. View looking south at north side and roof of building. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#:Boynton-17_Eastport(August)032 copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. View looking south at north side and roof of building. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#:Boynton-17_Eastport(August)032 copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012.  Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Boynton-17_Eastport 2012 (fall)019-ED copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Boynton-17_Eastport 2012 (fall)019-ED copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Boynton-17_Eastport 2012 (fall)025-ED copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Boynton-17_Eastport 2012 (fall)025-ED copy(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia: Photo#: Boynton-17Eastport 2012 (fall)017-ED)(72).jpg
Aaron Hayden House, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia: Photo#: Boynton-17Eastport 2012 (fall)017-ED)(72).jpg
Built:1807
Address:
17 Boynton Street
Eastport, Maine

Architectural Styles

  • Federal
  • Second Empire
SCA, p. 32:
AARON HAYDEN HOUSE

Aaron Hayden, deacon of the Calvinist Baptist Church of Eastport, had his home built on Boynton Street around 1805. The house was originally a two story hipped roof Federal style home, similar to the Kilby House nearby. The building was purchased by General S.D. Leavitt and remodelled around 1880. The house is now three stories high with a mansard roof, bay windows, bracketed cornice and several tall spindly chimneys. The fan over the door is one of the few remaining visible features of the original house. AFN

EWT, 2010:
57) The Hayden House 17 Boynton Street, Federal, 1805.

Deacon Aaron Hayden was a prominent merchant and owner of the Hayden wharf. General S.D. Leavitt, the first mayor of Eastport, later bought this house and had a third story added to it with a mansard roof and bay windows. Aaron Hayden, Jr. (the nineteenth) and William Kilby (the twenty-ninth) representatives from Eastport to the state legislature, were born in this house.

• From Eastport Sentinel, March 15, 1882, p.3,c.1: “The old Hayden mansion, now being remodeled and built over for S.D. Leavitt, Esq., will be when completed, one of the finest houses in the place. Bay windows have been built upon the front, facing the south, and modern windows replace the old style sashes and glass on all sides. A French roof has also greatly altered the appearance of the house, which was built in 1807, as was shown by the date found upon one of the old steps, which had also the builder’s names. The carpenter work is being done by D.N. Clark & Sons, J.N. Coffin does the mason work and the plumbing by Albert M. Bibber. There is a steam heater which carries the heated steam through the house into radiators in each room. An examination of the work executed by the plumber will repay anyone. There is an upright copper boiler in the kitchen, heated from the cooking range; pipes convey the hot water from the boiler to the sink, which has also a hard and soft water pump. Soap stone tubs also have pipes leading from the hot and cold water tanks. But little will be left of the original house when the carpenters have concluded their tearing away and rebuilding. The ceilings and walls will be replastered in nearly every room and new floors laid. The house when completed will be commodious and convenient and has an excellent location.”

View full list of buildings