Berman Block - 60, 62 & 64 Water

Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Berman Block
Photograph showing Berman Block facade, c. 1890.
Photograph showing Berman Block facade, c. 1890.
Berman Block Building (2nd from left), 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Water-56-66_Eastport(July2013)028(72).jpg
Berman Block Building (2nd from left), 2013. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: Water-56-66_Eastport(July2013)028(72).jpg
Built:1887, 1929
Address:
60, 62, and 64 Water Street
Eastport, Maine

National Register

Historic District

Eastport Historic District

Architects

Architectural Styles

  • Italianate
EWT:

14) Berman Clothing (NR) 60, 62 & 64 Water St., 1887/1929, Italianate. After the fire of 1886, P. Whalen had three stores built as the Whalen Block. Two of those stores and the Bibber store would later become Berman's Clothing Store. The Bibber store was a dry goods store in the 1880s and 1890s. The Berman store is where the 1928 K of P Fire started. The store was rebuilt and continued as a clothing store into the 1960s. The uniqueness of the Berman Block was that it had three doors on Water Street for one store.

From National Register of Historic Places Eastport Historic District Nomination Form, p.2:

Berman Clothing Store, 1887, 1928 60, 62, 64 Water Street Italianate, 2 stories, wood frame. Left and center sections by Henry Black, Architect. Right hand section burned in 1928 and was rebuilt.

View full list of buildings