Eastport Water Company

Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company
Eastport Water Company, c.1895
Eastport Water Company, c.1895
Eastport Water Company, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: CountyRoad_WaterWorks(72).jpg
Eastport Water Company, 2012. Photograph by Thaddeus Holownia. PHOTO#: CountyRoad_WaterWorks(72).jpg
Built:1888
Eastport, Maine

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, October 3, 1888, p.3.c.3: “The force of workmen upon the waterworks will soon be largely increased. By to-morrows steamer 75 Italians will arrive here with their foreman, Frank Copp. The building in the Kelly field at Broad Cove known as “Hotel Italy,” is being completed as fast as the weather will permit. Mr. A.W. Clark has a large force at work upon it. Plans for a brick pumping station at the reservoir have been made and work will be commenced on this building at once. The building will be 60x32 ft. and contain besides the two duplex Blake pumps and two Allen steel boilers of 60 horse power each, a comfortably arranged and handsomely finished dwelling for the engineer at the pumping station. The dwelling will be two stories, with three sleeping rooms, bath and toilet rooms on the second floor, and kitchen, dining and sitting rooms besides an office, on the first floor. Mr. J.N. Coffin will have charge of the mason work and Mr. A.W. Clark of carpenter work in the construction of the building. A chimney 50 feet high will be built from the boiler room. The reservoir in Boyds field upon which work is now being rapidly pushed under direction of Mr. Carroll, is to be 260 ft. long and 100 wide with a depth of 25 ft. A contract has been made to have the material here by November first for the construction of an iron stand pipe on Fort Hill.”

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, December 12, 1888, p.3,c.1: “It has been just two months since Mr. F. Gibbs took charge of the work at the reservoir and pumping station for the Water Company. In that time a great change has been made in the appearance of the locality at the eastern end of Mr. Amos Boyds field, where the works are established. In the place of the little spring of pure running water hemmed in by two large rough stones, which had served for more than half a century as a public watering place for teams coming in and going from town, we see a big well 175 feet long and 60 odd feet wide at the narrowest point across the top, with a depth of 25 feet. The northern side of the reservoir is formed by the solid ledge and the ends and south side, built up of blue clay and evenly paved with stone. The top is broad enough for a driveway all around it. The building that contains the two large Blake pumps and two steel boilers of 50 horse power each, is a neat two story brick structure, the front part of which is being finished for a dwelling to be occupied by the engineer in charge of the station. It will be a most convenient, comfortable and pleasant residence. Every room will be furnished with steam heat and the house will be piped for water up stairs and down. A chimney 56 feet high has been completed and before Saturday, boilers and pumps will be ready to start up. The grounds about the works have been graded and put in excellent condition, under the direction of Mr. Gibbs, and considering the lateness of the season in which work was commenced, it is somewhat surprising to see how much has been accomplished.”

( ) From Eastport Sentinel, May 29, 1889, p.3,c.1: “The locality formerly known as the “watering place,” has been wonderfully transformed in appearance by the works of the Eastport Water Company erected there. A neat brick building has been built containing the powerful pumps and boilers used for pumping the water into the standpipe on Fort Hill, besides a handsomely furnished dwelling with all modern conveniences, for the engineers of the pumping station. The completed reservoir, fed by springs, is a fine piece of mechanical work. It is oblong in shape, being 165 feet long on top and 140 feet on the bottom, 45 feet wide and 20 feet deep. A wall of earth and stones 20 feet wide on top has been built along the front and west end, the other side and end being composed of solid ledge. The stone wall, 267 feet in length, along the whole front of the Waterworks property, and 90 feet in length on the west end of the reservoir, is a handsome and substantial piece of masonry. The grounds about the dwelling and in fact all around the property, have been graded and handsomely laid out. A large plot in front of the dwelling has been laid out in a half circle and arranged for a lawn and flower garden. The whole work has been done under the personal supervision of Mr. Henry Gibbs of Pawtucket, R.I., the engineer employed by the Water Co, from the beginning, and by his good taste and familiarity with such work, the place has been made most attractive in appearance. while at the same time it gives an impression of solidity and substantial usefulness.”

View full list of buildings